Co-sponsored by Beihang University (Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics) and Christopher Newport University, the International Conference of Environmental Governance in China will be held on June 2-3, 2012, at Beihang University, Beijing, China.
China’s environment has drawn great concerns in recent decades as the country rapidly catches up in industrialization and modernization. This booming economy, however, has come alongside with an environmental crisis, which affects not only the livelihood of the Chinese citizens and the survival of the regime, but also the relationship between China and the rest of the world. In the past decades, Chinese government has been striking to address the issue through various channels, but the outcomes have not yet been fully assessed and understood.
This conference aims to draw the best experts in this field in order to stimulate the discussion and improve our understanding of the issue for better research and policy decisions in the future. Scholars and practitioners across disciplines are invited to submit papers and panels following the themes listed below:
1. Environment in China: status, change, and future
2. Environmental Governance: dynamics, obstacles, and strategies
3. Environmental Impact Assessment: decision-making and public participation
4. Firms, Laws and Regulations: enforcement and compliance
5. Environment, Growth, and Social Development
6. Environmental Politics: actors, interests and institutions
7. Environmental Protests, Movements, and Non-governmental Organizations (ENGOs): confrontation and collaboration
8. Globalization and Political Economy of Chinese Environment
9. Environmental Conflict and Cooperation: China and the world
We will invite renowned scholars, Chinese officials, and representatives of domestic/ international environmental organizations and firms as keynote speakers in order to facilitate the dialogue between scholars, policymakers, and private sectors. Well-researched conference papers will have the opportunity to be included in edited books.
Proposal Submission and Contact
Please email your paper abstract or panel proposal up to 300 words in length along with a brief bio of the author no later than March 10, 2012 to Dr. Huisheng Shou at Christopher Newport University (Huisheng_shou@hotmail.com) and Dr. Bingqiang Ren at Beihang University (email@example.com).
Notification of acceptance will be made by April 1, 2012. Final papers are to be submitted by May 18, 2012.
The conference organizers will provide FREE lodging and meals during the conference session for all participants, and will also provide certain sightseeing following the conference.